Saturday, January 10, 2015

Breakfast Sandwich #2 - Homemade aka Try Walking a Mile In Their Checkered Pants

Sandwich: Homemade
Location: My house
Date: January 8, 2015
Cost: That would require some math. Cheap

I've never worked in a commercial kitchen, I can barely cook for myself. I have never put on one of those funny chef hats (although I think most cooks actually wear baseball caps - but you never see baseball players in chefs hats). They all seem to wear those checkered pants though.

At some point along this project I'll likely run into a subpar breakfast sandwich and there is a chance I'll go off about its lack of quality. Before I string together those adjectives and expletives I thought I should try my hand at making a breakfast sandwich so I know what goes into it. People say that before you criticize somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes, which I think is a bastardized version of a line from To Kill A Mockingbird:
You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.
So I decided to make a basic breakfast sandwich. (Yes, I have made them before but its a new year so we're starting over at square one.)

Bacon - Usinger's thick cut

Eggs - chicken

Cheese - sharp cheddar. Bread - Brownberry 12 Grain



 I'm not going to get into the details, this isn't a cooking blog.

Result: fairly successful. The eggs were supposed to be over medium but I think I cooked them a little too long. The cheese could have been more melty. The bacon may have been a little too crisp - you can see it was a bit crumbly. Maybe regular cut bacon would have worked better.

There you go, that's my standard. Any cook worth his or her kosher salt should be able to do at least as well, if not better, than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment