Friday, February 27, 2015

Breakfast Sandwich #12 - Sonic aka I Like My Salt With A Side Of Sodium

Sandwich: Breakfast Toaster with Bacon
Location: Sonic
Date: February 25, 2015
Cost: $2.99

Sonic is another place that wasn't on the list but I was in the general vicinity and thought I would take a look. Sure enough, their menu contains the Breakfast Toaster.

I've eaten at America's Drive-In a couple of times and wasn't very impressed, so my expectations were low. I do like their Limeade drink.

I can't think of anything else to say about Sonic. It's a fast food chain based out of Oklahoma.

Drive-Thru Menu

Not very eye catching

The sandwich, post stabbing

The Sandwich - I went with the Breakfast Toaster with Bacon. I could have gotten sausage, or the exact same thing on a bagel or a croissant. What's the difference? And why would anybody get a bagel from Sonic? I asked for a knife so I could cut it in half for a photo, but Sonic doesn't have knives (too many work place incidents?) so I took a fork. I thought I might be able to cut the sandwich by using the side of the fork but it was kind of tough, yet doughy. Also, I was doing this on the front seat of my truck so conditions were not ideal. I resorted to stabbing it with the fork in a diagonal pattern across the top. Stabby, stab, stabber. Later I would wish that I had stabbed myself rather than eat this sandwich. I had to stab the bacon a few extra times but I got it, as you can see from the photo.

The result - 1,560 mg of sodium out of 5,000 mg of sodium. That's how much salt is in one of these if you check the handy Sonic nutrition PDF. That's essentially all it tastes like, salt. The bread is thin and squishy, yet chewy in an unpleasant way. The eggs were just a texture and kind of crumbly in the mouth. I like my eggs a little runny, which is never going to happen at a fast food joint (probably for the better) but I reserve the right to complain about them anyway. I don't think these places even have actual eggs in the kitchen, do they? I have no idea. I know its easy to rip apart a fast food sandwich but this thing deserved it. 

If you read the first post of this blog you know that the idea is to see if a sandwich has enough power to affect your day. Several hours after eating this I came down with some type of debilitating flu bug that gave me chills and made my entire body feel like I'd been hit by a truck. I'm not a Doctor, but I'm blaming this sandwich. I hope Sonic doesn't sue me. I really like the Limeade drink.


No comments:

Post a Comment