Friday, May 22, 2015

Breakfast Sandwich #23 - DLUX aka The Pig Came First

Sandwich: Spicy Sausage
Location: DLUX
Date: May 17, 2015
Cost: $6

DLUX has been on the list for awhile and I was really looking forward to trying the Chicken Fried Chicken Sandwich as a refreshing change from the typical breakfast sandwich fair. I already had some ideas about messing around with "which came first, the chicken sandwich or the egg sandwich", but when it came down to it, I had to trust my gut and order what I really wanted.

I like the DLUX space, I'm a sucker for a center bar, and the staff were really on their game. It was expectedly crowded for graduation weekend but they seemed to have the situation under control and the food came out relatively fast.

Most of the patrons were partaking in the "bottomless mimosa" deal which looks like a great way to kickoff a day-drinking session. I also think it might be the healthiest item on the menu. I had already decided on the espresso milkshake and didn't regret it, it comes with whipped cream on top and a sprinkling of espresso. As delicious as it was I couldn't finish it as I knew it would ruin my appetite, but I highly recommend it. The Fresh Donut Balls are tasty as well. This was not a low calorie breakfast experience.
You want options? They got options.

That's a side of the Breakfast Potatoes with blue cheese and bacon.

Who's a little sausage patty? Who is? You are!
The Sandwich - Spicy Sausage. Like I said, the idea was to mix it up and get the Chicken Fried Chicken Sandwich, but that just wasn't feeling right at the time. The person next to me at the bar got it, and it looks worthy of research, but I didn't go down that path. The sandwiches are a la cart, but you can get a side of breakfast potatoes with options to dress them up. The first thing I noticed about my sandwich was that initially the bun seemed too big. I think a breakfast sandwich should have a nice little lava flow of cheesy-egginess creeping out the side but that wasn't happening here. The egg is fried so that removes the option of yolk flow. The sausage was excellent though, and the first bite was packed with flavor. The pepper jack cheese really goes with the sausage and should be an option at more establishments. The sriracha mayo is not over done and that's a good thing. Too much mayo will crush your sandwich dreams every time. It didn't jump out as a distinct addition but blended in with the overall spicy flavor, which was on the mild side of spicy. I'd say it's a 2 star level of spicy if you were ordering at a thai restaurant, and that works for me in the morning. A little kick, but that's it. The bread was OK but there was too much of it. This sandwich could have used more filler, or less bread - the bread to innards ratio was off.

The Result - 3.7 milkshakes out of 5 milkshakes. I enjoyed this sandwich but the bread ratio knocked it down a few points. It could use some greens on the side. If you decide to hit DLUX I would recommend bringing a couple friends so you can share the donut balls and the espresso milkshake. I'm going to try to get back there for the chicken fried chicken sandwich.

Follow on Twitter @BunBreakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment